I and my wife will have a short visit to Cape Town between May 17 and May 19, 2014 (just for 2 nights, but given the time restrictions we have, that would be better than not going at all).
I am a keen amateur photographer and would like to take aerial photos of the city and Table Mountain from a helicopter. I would appreciate your comments and opinions on several issues:
1. Do we need to make a reservation in advance or we can just phone 2-3 companies when we are already there? The only concern I have regarding advanced reservation is the weather, it might not be the best idea to have a prior arrangement for a specific time and to turn out that the weather conditions are not very good for aerial photography. We will be staying very close to V & A Waterfront, how likely would be finding a flight by just walking to the flightseeing companies without a prior arrangement?
2. Which company to choose? Since the tour would be about taking photographs, the decisive factor would be the type of chopper and the ability to have the clearest view for
Sports Helicopters seem to operate JetRanger choppers which have a little window that could be opened if seating on the back seat. 20 minutes flight for 2 people is R 3650.
Cape Town helicopters seem to operate JetRangers and Robinson R44 choppers, the latter do not have any windows that I could open.
Nac Macana helicopters seem to operate both JetRangers and R44-s.
All three companies are located at V & A waterfront.
3. Any idea if any of the companies will allow to book a specific seat in advance if sharing the flight with other people or seat distribution will be on first come – first serve basis? Or depending on individual passenger’s weight for balancing the chopper?
Any opinions and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Cape Town helicopter flightseeing
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 15 days, 5 walks, 4 medinas, 3 gal of mint tea, 2 camel rides, one Morocco!
- 2 What company for gorilla trekking?
- 3 Quick question about Kenya..
- 4 Help please! Trying to plan an African trip!
- 5 Egypt, Israel and Jordan safety concerns.
- 6 2 Weeks In Iran: So Far Away From The Clichés!
- 7 Questions about Chobe
- 8 FS: 2013 Toyota Sequoia PLATINUM / Evoque 2012
- 9 Mala Mala Luxury Suite or Sabi Sabi Mandleve Presidential Suite?
- 10 What camera to use on safari
- 11 Wildlife camps in Kenya and Tanzania
- 12 Staying out all day vs coming in for lunch in Botswana parks/concessions?
- 13 Lamu or Zanzibar?
- 14 India
- 15 Tanzania (Ruaha): Trip Report for Mwagusi Camp
- 16 Ideas about the trip.
- 17 Israel/Jordan -- other trip options to bypass Israel?
- 18 3 days in Teheran
- 19 CAMEL TREK IN MOROCCO
- 20 trip report s africa, victoria falls & Botswana Zambezi Queen
- 21 Draft itinerary - Portugal, Spain, Morocco
- 22 Some advice re driving from Durban to Capetown via Umtata
- 23 Oman - moderate priced hotel near souks
- 24 Taxi - Casablanca Airport to El Jdidh
- 25 Ethiopian Air - Horrible