Lion World Tours
I know I should be doing my own Brazil trip report, but I wanted to whip this one out before I forget the specifics.
A co-worker of mine just returned from a mid-September departure. She and her husband had a fabulous time. They have done quite a bit of international travel and enjoy group trips and bargains. The husband had no interest in traveling to Africa but went because his wife wanted to go. It did not take long before he was hooked and shot 7000 photos, which were described as glorious.
During the planning stages I recall she would have liked more prompt responses from Lion World to her inquiries. There were also some added costs that did not please her, such as increases from the stated price for a departure on a Friday instead of a Wednesday or something like that. But they got over those things were thrilled with the trip itself.
1st night was at Stanley’s. My co-worker remarked that souvenirs were actually much less expensive at the hotel than in the Mara, at times by more than 50%, and the hotel had an excellent selection of beautiful things. Since they ended up back at Stanley’s for the dayroom at the end of their trip, buying souvenirs could be done at the start of the trip (and have them stored during the trip) or at the end. They liked Stanley’s very much.
2nd & 3rd nights were at the Sarova in Shaba. They were thrilled with the view of the river from their room and with the family of elephants drinking from it. The reserve was a hit with them as they made their first sightings.
4th night was at Lion Hill Sarova in Nakuru. They saw lots of flamingos and a white rhino among other wildlife. They liked the location and rooms at Lion Hill Sarova but felt the service was lacking at each of their meals.
5th & 6th nights were at Mara Sarova. Their comment was “it was camping unlike anything we have ever done before,” and they were clearly enthused about the luxury element. They were in the midst of the wildebeest migration and saw numerous pairs of mating lions, plus a mother cheetah and three cubs playing, many giraffes, and even a black rhino.
There were six people in their vehicle and everyone got along and it did not feel crowded. They felt their guide did a superb job and especially mentioned his ability to manuever them into range for a sighting of that elusive black rhino.
They decided upon Lion World after attending a travel show by another big name in travel that starts with F and ends with r but is not Fodor’s. They had not even considered Africa, but this seemed to be such a good deal that they jumped on it. Obviously, they were very happy with deciding on Africa and with their experience with Lion World.
I did not have unlimited time to talk with her so I did not ask what the ground operator was. But I’m sure if you called Lion World, they would tell you, and they may even use a couple so her outfitter might not be the only one.
One issue that came up that is not limited to her trip: cell phone use on safari. Somebody on the trip was trying to get in touch with a friend in Kenya but for some reason could not reach them while at the lodge. So they would request the guide drive around to different spots to seek reception on the cell phone and these spots were not necessarily prime game viewing sites. What is even odder is they were asking to use the guide’s cell phone.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 ATM DUMPS PIN TRACK 1/2 CC CVV TRANSFER WESTERN UNION
- 2 Tanzania - first trip - many questions.
- 3 Rental Car Rabat Airport
- 4 14-16 day visit to South Africa
- 5 experiences with African travel Resource
- 6 name issue
- 7 3 days in Jo'Burg
- 8 Madagascar suggestions
- 9 Travelling to Atlas mountains
- 10 3-part Zimbabwe: Join Wild Dog Researcher, Walk Mana Pools, Canoe Zambezi
- 11 First time in Southafrica - Suggested itinerary
- 12 Seven day solo trip to Morocco
- 13 East Africa Travel Visa - Starting in Kenya
- 14 4 weeks in South Africa ideas
- 15 only private conservancies or can i add in a national park
- 16 Single traveler
- 17 Should I visit Vamizi Island again?
- 18 Liquids Restrictions - South Africa to Zimbabwe
- 19 Morocco & Spain with Kidos!
- 20 What company for gorilla trekking?
- 21 My Magical Southern African Photography Safari: A Trip Report
- 22 morocco help please
- 23 3 adults in Dubai need a good hotel to share with privacy!
- 24 Botswana - Oct vs June
- 25 Zambia + Namibia trip -completely unrealistic?
Brief, 2nd hand report on Lion World's 9-day Kenya trip for $2300 and that's with air
Lion World Tours