I'm joining my husband on a business trip in Dubai and Abu Dhabi shortly. We have just a couple of days in Dubai, which will include the weekend, so we'll be doing things together. However, when we move to Abu Dhabi he will be working for several days straight. How comfortable am I (a blonde with intensely blues eyes) going to be moving around the city on my own? Yes, I plan to dress conservatively. But will I attract unwanted attention? Will it be in the form of stares (I can cope) or comments (I don't understand Arabic)? Will it be aggressive vendors? (I found the markets in Old Jerusalem a bit overpowering -- I was not with a group, but I had a guide who diverted aggressive vendors.) Should I plan on only taking tours, rather than walking around on my own? Or just taxi to the general area of my destination, but walk from there (assuming it's a central, tourist area)? I'm not a Nervous Nellie, but I haven't traveled in Arabic countries before and would like to know what to expect. Thanks, Fodorites, for your input!
Blue-eyed blondes in Abu Dhabi
- 1 Currency Exchange in Morocco
- 2 RSA: Tswalu vs Mashatu vs Phinda
- 3 2 weeks in South Africa with teens
- 4 Advice on Porinin camps?
- 5 phone service
- 6 Tanzania in 2014
- 7 Difference between Air Botswana and South African Air
- 8 Morocco . . . Rough Around the Edges
- 9 Driving Aswan to Luxor
- 10 How to choose tour group for Egypt
- 11 16 Days in Uganda - mountain gorillas and so much more!
- 12 How to find if safari company is legit ?
- 13 Mosquito repellants whicwork best !!
- 14 Best Budget Tour Operator
- 15 Living in Morocco.
- 16 Our best trip ever - in Morocco
- 17 Mozambique 1 - 13 June 2013.
- 18 Yellow Fevor innoculation revisited
- 19 Questions re Gorillas in Rwanda and money in both Rwanda and Tanzania
- 20 6 nights in Morocco - how long to spend in marrakech and fes each?
- 21 Help! First trip to Africa and overwhelmed!!
- 22 TRIP REPORT: Northern Tanzania with a Birding Twist 2/13
- 23 Cross Egypt Challenge and 4 extra days
- 24 Makoa-Farm Tanzania
- 25 Africa Safari