Greetings again everyone,
For those who had been following my earlier "Why Botswana?" thread, my situation has changed in that now my husband does not feel his health situation allows him to proceed with safari planning, so I'm considering going it alone.
I read through old threads dealing with solo travel issues by (ahem) middle-aged females---many had good ideas, but I had a few additional questions to put out to you all plus a few disparate items:
1. Allusions were made to choose camps that have communal dining set-ups and avoid those that cater to honeymooners Off the tops of your collective heads, do you know which places fall into either...er...camp?
(In looking through the travel books thus far, I made what may be a faulty assumption that most places had communal dining, but the implication according to one old "solo on safari" thread made me think otherwise.)
2. I noted that several women mentioned negotiating to avoid the single supplement and wondered how often it is successful. Likewise, in doing some preliminary research, some companies offer to find roommates---anyone done this? (if so, how did it turn out?)
3. Because of luggage weight limits, I would probably not be able to take my usual slew of books and am mulling whether I should purchase a Kindle. Not knowing diddly-squat about how they really work---my novice question is initially---do Kindles work in Botswana? Does dust hurt them? Would they need to be charged (or whatever) during a 3-week trip?
4. Lastly, I have a couple of general "forum research" questions:
~I've been scratching my head regarding how to "bookmark" some of the threads. Do I just click on the "Favorites" icon? When I tried this, nothing really happened...
~Also atravelynn, you often pull up old threads to share---are those ones you have saved or did you search for them by topic? Since the advanced search indicates a 3-year limit, I wasn't positive if that's the outer limit to read old topics or if there's a more creative method. (atravelynn, I'm still chuckling about your comment giving "posters" permission to "prolong, pontificate or pout"
Any and all suggestions regarding things I need to consider if traveling solo on safari in Botswana would be most welcome, especially if some of the camps are more solo-friendly than others.
Best Botswana camps for solo female?
Greetings again everyone,
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Israel/Jordan -- other trip options to bypass Israel?
- 2 Discover Namibia Tours & Safaris - Gemma Dry
- 3 FOREX Nairobi airport
- 4 To go to Israel or not?
- 5 Bidair at JNB
- 6 Botswana vs Namibia in May
- 7 Saw the Big 5 in one day in the Mara last week!
- 8 Trip report/blog - South Africa honeymoon
- 9 Trip report about self-driving in Northern Namibia for 2 weeks in May 2014
- 10 Lamu or Zanzibar?
- 11 Eastern Cape Lodges
- 12 Questions about Chobe
- 13 Best Month for Experiencing The Great Migration
- 14 Dubai > Oman?
- 15 Dubai > Seychelles hop
- 16 Botswana Green Season 2014/15 Camp discounted pricing
- 17 trip report s africa, victoria falls & Botswana Zambezi Queen
- 18 Morocco Tour: Marrakech Fes Merzouga Camel Trek in Sahara
- 19 Tanzania (Selous): Trip Report for Lake Manze Camp
- 20 Tanzania (Selous): Trip Report for Selous Impala Camp
- 21 Tanzania (Ruaha): Trip Report for Mwagusi Camp
- 22 Masai Mara Epic Big Five and Wildbeast Migration
- 23 MAGICAL, MEZMERIZING MOROCCO (Revised)
- 24 Wild Dogs (Lycaon pictus) seen in Samburu Kenya
- 25 Awesome trip and still not done