Greetings again everyone,
For those who had been following my earlier "Why Botswana?" thread, my situation has changed in that now my husband does not feel his health situation allows him to proceed with safari planning, so I'm considering going it alone.
I read through old threads dealing with solo travel issues by (ahem) middle-aged females---many had good ideas, but I had a few additional questions to put out to you all plus a few disparate items:
1. Allusions were made to choose camps that have communal dining set-ups and avoid those that cater to honeymooners Off the tops of your collective heads, do you know which places fall into either...er...camp?
(In looking through the travel books thus far, I made what may be a faulty assumption that most places had communal dining, but the implication according to one old "solo on safari" thread made me think otherwise.)
2. I noted that several women mentioned negotiating to avoid the single supplement and wondered how often it is successful. Likewise, in doing some preliminary research, some companies offer to find roommates---anyone done this? (if so, how did it turn out?)
3. Because of luggage weight limits, I would probably not be able to take my usual slew of books and am mulling whether I should purchase a Kindle. Not knowing diddly-squat about how they really work---my novice question is initially---do Kindles work in Botswana? Does dust hurt them? Would they need to be charged (or whatever) during a 3-week trip?
4. Lastly, I have a couple of general "forum research" questions:
~I've been scratching my head regarding how to "bookmark" some of the threads. Do I just click on the "Favorites" icon? When I tried this, nothing really happened...
~Also atravelynn, you often pull up old threads to share---are those ones you have saved or did you search for them by topic? Since the advanced search indicates a 3-year limit, I wasn't positive if that's the outer limit to read old topics or if there's a more creative method. (atravelynn, I'm still chuckling about your comment giving "posters" permission to "prolong, pontificate or pout"
Any and all suggestions regarding things I need to consider if traveling solo on safari in Botswana would be most welcome, especially if some of the camps are more solo-friendly than others.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Tanzania vs. Botswana
- 2 Single traveler
- 3 Logistics on staying in a riad in the medina
- 4 Route 1+90 allowed with rental car?
- 5 Fly or Train from CMN to Fes/Marrakesh
- 6 best bag to get for fly in safari in kenya
- 7 First time safari advice and awkward question
- 8 Souvenirs from South Africa
- 9 First Safari trip-on the right track?
- 10 Viator tour company
- 11 tours in Johannesburg
- 12 Planning my last day in Morocco
- 13 Egypt Quickie Trip
- 14 South African Cities
- 15 First Time Safari Help...Use a tour or not?
- 16 Luggage protection for Joburg?
- 17 Travelling during Purim or not?
- 18 East African Visa Beware!!!
- 19 Stanleys Camp Luggage
- 20 where to go in africa
- 21 Help with Flight Option: CMN or RAK
- 22 Ethiopian Holidays You Should Not Miss
- 23 Best Wineries - 2-3 days in Franschhoek and Stellenbosch
- 24 Tentative Itinerary - what do you think?
- 25 Help with bags
Greetings again everyone,