Greetings again everyone,
For those who had been following my earlier "Why Botswana?" thread, my situation has changed in that now my husband does not feel his health situation allows him to proceed with safari planning, so I'm considering going it alone.
I read through old threads dealing with solo travel issues by (ahem) middle-aged females---many had good ideas, but I had a few additional questions to put out to you all plus a few disparate items:
1. Allusions were made to choose camps that have communal dining set-ups and avoid those that cater to honeymooners Off the tops of your collective heads, do you know which places fall into either...er...camp?
(In looking through the travel books thus far, I made what may be a faulty assumption that most places had communal dining, but the implication according to one old "solo on safari" thread made me think otherwise.)
2. I noted that several women mentioned negotiating to avoid the single supplement and wondered how often it is successful. Likewise, in doing some preliminary research, some companies offer to find roommates---anyone done this? (if so, how did it turn out?)
3. Because of luggage weight limits, I would probably not be able to take my usual slew of books and am mulling whether I should purchase a Kindle. Not knowing diddly-squat about how they really work---my novice question is initially---do Kindles work in Botswana? Does dust hurt them? Would they need to be charged (or whatever) during a 3-week trip?
4. Lastly, I have a couple of general "forum research" questions:
~I've been scratching my head regarding how to "bookmark" some of the threads. Do I just click on the "Favorites" icon? When I tried this, nothing really happened...
~Also atravelynn, you often pull up old threads to share---are those ones you have saved or did you search for them by topic? Since the advanced search indicates a 3-year limit, I wasn't positive if that's the outer limit to read old topics or if there's a more creative method. (atravelynn, I'm still chuckling about your comment giving "posters" permission to "prolong, pontificate or pout"
Any and all suggestions regarding things I need to consider if traveling solo on safari in Botswana would be most welcome, especially if some of the camps are more solo-friendly than others.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 East Africa Safari 1st Time- Summer 2016
- 2 Trip Report: Madagascar and Rwanda
- 3 Israel in April - itinerary help
- 4 Kgalagadi Transfrontier NP
- 5 Mpumalanga visit
- 6 Advice, please: Addo Elephant Park to Cape Town AIrport on Garden Route
- 7 safe areas to go on safari
- 8 Rabat opinion and prices in Rabat + video
- 9 Trip to Kenya in August 2016
- 10 Okavango and Kalahari in December
- 11 Lion World
- 12 Victoria Falls
- 13 WOMEN DRIVING IN SA
- 14 8 nights in Dubai...need advice regarding Dubai/Petra combo.
- 15 2015: South Africa for a fortnight
- 16 Now is a GREAT time to visit Egypt! (Trip Report)
- 17 TRIP REPORT – 5 fantastic weeks in South Africa, Victoria Falls (Zimbabwe) and Mauritius
- 18 Who to Choose? Africa Serendipity, Rothschild Safari or ATR?
- 19 Keep watching the news and DON'T believe my trip report
- 20 Migration in Tanzania/Kenya - September
- 21 Trip to Kenya - Nov 26-Dec 9
- 22 Kruger park
- 23 Casablanca arrival -alternative first night stay
- 24 Have itinerary -- need an agency
- 25 Malaria medications Africa
Greetings again everyone,