Greetings again everyone,
For those who had been following my earlier "Why Botswana?" thread, my situation has changed in that now my husband does not feel his health situation allows him to proceed with safari planning, so I'm considering going it alone.
I read through old threads dealing with solo travel issues by (ahem) middle-aged females---many had good ideas, but I had a few additional questions to put out to you all plus a few disparate items:
1. Allusions were made to choose camps that have communal dining set-ups and avoid those that cater to honeymooners Off the tops of your collective heads, do you know which places fall into either...er...camp?
(In looking through the travel books thus far, I made what may be a faulty assumption that most places had communal dining, but the implication according to one old "solo on safari" thread made me think otherwise.)
2. I noted that several women mentioned negotiating to avoid the single supplement and wondered how often it is successful. Likewise, in doing some preliminary research, some companies offer to find roommates---anyone done this? (if so, how did it turn out?)
3. Because of luggage weight limits, I would probably not be able to take my usual slew of books and am mulling whether I should purchase a Kindle. Not knowing diddly-squat about how they really work---my novice question is initially---do Kindles work in Botswana? Does dust hurt them? Would they need to be charged (or whatever) during a 3-week trip?
4. Lastly, I have a couple of general "forum research" questions:
~I've been scratching my head regarding how to "bookmark" some of the threads. Do I just click on the "Favorites" icon? When I tried this, nothing really happened...
~Also atravelynn, you often pull up old threads to share---are those ones you have saved or did you search for them by topic? Since the advanced search indicates a 3-year limit, I wasn't positive if that's the outer limit to read old topics or if there's a more creative method. (atravelynn, I'm still chuckling about your comment giving "posters" permission to "prolong, pontificate or pout"
Any and all suggestions regarding things I need to consider if traveling solo on safari in Botswana would be most welcome, especially if some of the camps are more solo-friendly than others.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Royal Air Maroc Dreamliner JFK-CMN and maybe connect to RAK
- 2 15 days Morocco Itinerary Help please
- 3 Tanzania Great Migration, when to go
- 4 Traditional music + dance in South Africa?
- 5 Best African Safari
- 6 VISA for Mozambique
- 7 December Serengeti Itinerary
- 8 Wildbeest migration tour operator
- 9 beach visit after safari
- 10 Petra Wadi Rum
- 11 Questions on Israel/Jordan Border Crossings and Jordan Travel. Need Help!
- 12 Nine months to Egypt (but you should go now)
- 13 Transportation from Tel Aviv Airport to Jerusalem
- 14 What is worth seeing in November?
- 15 Morocco – November, 2015 - Self Drive
- 16 Israeli Tour Guides
- 17 Egypt Quickie Trip
- 18 CASABLANCA for 1 Day
- 19 Masai Mara in May
- 20 Western Desert Itinerary
- 21 Tentative Itinerary - what do you think?
- 22 luggage for a weird itinerary
- 23 where to spend a night near JRO airport?
- 24 Marrakech - Which area to stay?
- 25 Middle Atlas or Chefchaouen
Greetings again everyone,