Greetings again everyone,
For those who had been following my earlier "Why Botswana?" thread, my situation has changed in that now my husband does not feel his health situation allows him to proceed with safari planning, so I'm considering going it alone.
I read through old threads dealing with solo travel issues by (ahem) middle-aged females---many had good ideas, but I had a few additional questions to put out to you all plus a few disparate items:
1. Allusions were made to choose camps that have communal dining set-ups and avoid those that cater to honeymooners Off the tops of your collective heads, do you know which places fall into either...er...camp?
(In looking through the travel books thus far, I made what may be a faulty assumption that most places had communal dining, but the implication according to one old "solo on safari" thread made me think otherwise.)
2. I noted that several women mentioned negotiating to avoid the single supplement and wondered how often it is successful. Likewise, in doing some preliminary research, some companies offer to find roommates---anyone done this? (if so, how did it turn out?)
3. Because of luggage weight limits, I would probably not be able to take my usual slew of books and am mulling whether I should purchase a Kindle. Not knowing diddly-squat about how they really work---my novice question is initially---do Kindles work in Botswana? Does dust hurt them? Would they need to be charged (or whatever) during a 3-week trip?
4. Lastly, I have a couple of general "forum research" questions:
~I've been scratching my head regarding how to "bookmark" some of the threads. Do I just click on the "Favorites" icon? When I tried this, nothing really happened...
~Also atravelynn, you often pull up old threads to share---are those ones you have saved or did you search for them by topic? Since the advanced search indicates a 3-year limit, I wasn't positive if that's the outer limit to read old topics or if there's a more creative method. (atravelynn, I'm still chuckling about your comment giving "posters" permission to "prolong, pontificate or pout"
Any and all suggestions regarding things I need to consider if traveling solo on safari in Botswana would be most welcome, especially if some of the camps are more solo-friendly than others.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Trip Report: June, 2016 S. Africa, Zambia and Malawi
- 2 South Africa Adventure Activities - Help Needed
- 3 Marrakech Itinerary - Desert or Atlas?
- 4 Uganda Visit - A beautiful Country
- 5 Trip to Petra
- 6 Dubai Desert Safari - Toddler Friendly?
- 7 Cape Town -safety
- 8 Tanzania Safari Itinerary Advice Needed - Mid-May 2017
- 9 Trip to Merzouga
- 10 Any advise on travelling in Morocco
- 11 Swaziland in January
- 12 MOROCCO FOR 10 DAYS
- 13 good internet connection option Meknes
- 14 Overnight train from Fez to Marrakesh
- 15 Rwanda - Gorilla Trekking
- 16 Trip report about self-driving in Northern Namibia for 2 weeks in May 2014
- 17 Safari - March 2017 Timbavati vs. Sabi Sands
- 18 Pictures & Trip Report - Self-drive: South Africa & Namibia 2008
- 19 Tanzania Safari with OAT
- 20 what size ll bean adventure duffle for safari
- 21 Southern Africa, 2 weeks, 10 passport stamps!!
- 22 The Heat and Dust of Kafue & the Busanga Plains
- 23 How I survived in Africa Traveling in a primitive African tribe Mursi
- 24 weekend from Joburg - 3rd trip to city
- 25 Egypt - where to buy a cartouche?
Greetings again everyone,