Greetings again everyone,
For those who had been following my earlier "Why Botswana?" thread, my situation has changed in that now my husband does not feel his health situation allows him to proceed with safari planning, so I'm considering going it alone.
I read through old threads dealing with solo travel issues by (ahem) middle-aged females---many had good ideas, but I had a few additional questions to put out to you all plus a few disparate items:
1. Allusions were made to choose camps that have communal dining set-ups and avoid those that cater to honeymooners Off the tops of your collective heads, do you know which places fall into either...er...camp?
(In looking through the travel books thus far, I made what may be a faulty assumption that most places had communal dining, but the implication according to one old "solo on safari" thread made me think otherwise.)
2. I noted that several women mentioned negotiating to avoid the single supplement and wondered how often it is successful. Likewise, in doing some preliminary research, some companies offer to find roommates---anyone done this? (if so, how did it turn out?)
3. Because of luggage weight limits, I would probably not be able to take my usual slew of books and am mulling whether I should purchase a Kindle. Not knowing diddly-squat about how they really work---my novice question is initially---do Kindles work in Botswana? Does dust hurt them? Would they need to be charged (or whatever) during a 3-week trip?
4. Lastly, I have a couple of general "forum research" questions:
~I've been scratching my head regarding how to "bookmark" some of the threads. Do I just click on the "Favorites" icon? When I tried this, nothing really happened...
~Also atravelynn, you often pull up old threads to share---are those ones you have saved or did you search for them by topic? Since the advanced search indicates a 3-year limit, I wasn't positive if that's the outer limit to read old topics or if there's a more creative method. (atravelynn, I'm still chuckling about your comment giving "posters" permission to "prolong, pontificate or pout"
Any and all suggestions regarding things I need to consider if traveling solo on safari in Botswana would be most welcome, especially if some of the camps are more solo-friendly than others.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Flight or take a jeep transfer from Nairobi to Masai Mara?
- 2 Solo/female/40's US traveler req tour operator recommendations
- 3 Ethiopian Air - Horrible
- 4 61 year old traveling to Kenya/Tanzania by myself
- 5 Zanzibar
- 6 2 Trips to Uganda: my experience
- 7 Itinerary Help - South Africa
- 8 Trip Report: Leaf Leopards & Stone Lions: Kamping in Kruger
- 9 Need tour operator for Tanzania and Kenya
- 10 Self drive tour south africa
- 11 Skip Victoria Falls for more Cape Town?
- 12 Elandskloof Farm Cottages near Greyton in the Western Cape
- 13 Packing for a month in Southern Africa
- 14 Duba activities - help deciding
- 15 Itinerary Input for Northern Israel with Kids
- 16 Private Guide for Cairo
- 17 African Safari/BeachTrip possible in 2 weeks?
- 18 Zimbabwe - Game Viewing in Hwange and Mana Pools?
- 19 Texting from US to Israel
- 20 Itinerary Ideas
- 21 Son of Cecil shot by trophy hunter in Hwange
- 22 Once again last minute short trip to South Africa
- 23 recommendations for first Africa safari?
- 24 Lamu Island or Diani Beach
- 25 first family kenyan safari trip report
Greetings again everyone,