I just returned from a trip via Emirates Air to Africa with a stopover in Dubai. I want to warn tourists that Dubai is NOT tourist friendly. All those beautiful and famous sights you saw on the internet? You can only see them from the outside. To get into the Burj al Arab, for example, you must make a reservation for an very expensive dinner. To get into the tallest building in the world, you must make a reservation at least 30 days or more in advance (unless you want to go up after dark). To get into the Sheik's palace hotel in Abu Dhabi, you must reserve ahead of time for a $150 English high tea. I was very disappointed, to say the least. It appears that the Emirates are for the wealthy Arabs and/or the international jet set. Lowly tourists must suffer through 115-120 degree (F) temperatures in the summer - only to have a glance at the outsides of buildings they've been wanting to explore. Sorry, Dubai. It seems that you're really set up for the very wealthy and/or inveterate shoppers with tons of money.
Being a tourist in Dubai
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Quick question about Kenya..
- 2 Choosing A Morocco Tour Operator?
- 3 We're going to Jordan and Israel
- 4 Tanzania: Ruaha & Selous in June
- 5 Green Season Safari Questions
- 6 Morocco in April 2014
- 7 Dubai - to go or not to go?
- 8 need private tour guide for Jordan
- 9 Connect Hemisphere Safaris - BEWARE: Fraudulent, Incompetent
- 10 Yet another Kruger private reserve budget lodge post + Blyde Canyon
- 11 Choosing Between Africa Odyssey, Africa Adventure Company, & andBeyond
- 12 South Africa escorted tour - your comments please!
- 13 Proposed Zambia Itinerary Update
- 14 Anyone going to Tanzania soon ?
- 15 Saudi Arabia and Oman?
- 16 Best time to go to South Africa?
- 17 Uganda Travel Planning
- 18 Israel and Jordan
- 19 Tour of Morocco, is this a good one?
- 20 Tel Aviv Special Occasion Restaurant
- 21 Safari and Beach Honeymoon in September
- 22 Ethiopia Omo valley tour(March 21-28)- Need a travel partner
- 23 Northern Circuit tour company
- 24 Delta trip Aug/28-9/10 Sooooo excited!!
- 25 Oman Trip Report