I just returned from a trip via Emirates Air to Africa with a stopover in Dubai. I want to warn tourists that Dubai is NOT tourist friendly. All those beautiful and famous sights you saw on the internet? You can only see them from the outside. To get into the Burj al Arab, for example, you must make a reservation for an very expensive dinner. To get into the tallest building in the world, you must make a reservation at least 30 days or more in advance (unless you want to go up after dark). To get into the Sheik's palace hotel in Abu Dhabi, you must reserve ahead of time for a $150 English high tea. I was very disappointed, to say the least. It appears that the Emirates are for the wealthy Arabs and/or the international jet set. Lowly tourists must suffer through 115-120 degree (F) temperatures in the summer - only to have a glance at the outsides of buildings they've been wanting to explore. Sorry, Dubai. It seems that you're really set up for the very wealthy and/or inveterate shoppers with tons of money.
Being a tourist in Dubai
- 1 15 days, 5 walks, 4 medinas, 3 gal of mint tea, 2 camel rides, one Morocco!
- 2 What about money?
- 3 a week in africa
- 4 RSA: Tswalu vs Mashatu vs Phinda
- 5 South African tourist visa - applying again after rejection last time
- 6 Trip report Namibia 2011 - A dream in red and green
- 7 Trip report Namibia 2012 - Chilly desert and hot quiver trees
- 8 Accra airport
- 9 Yemen - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
- 10 17 days in Israel our way
- 11 CapeTown and around......seeking restaurant advice
- 12 morocco
- 13 1st Time African Safari - Help!
- 14 Israel: excellent tour guide Gideon Abramowitz
- 15 Beyt Al Chai and places to stay in Zanzibar
- 16 Morocco . . . Rough Around the Edges
- 17 Trip extension from Cape town
- 18 Volunteer Work In Africa
- 19 Experience with Journey Beyond Travel or Sahara Services in Morocco?
- 20 how to join a Kenya safari once in country
- 21 Kenya + Ngorongoro or Serengeti?
- 22 Lets talk cell phones & plans while in Tanzania
- 23 Visit visa for South Africa
- 24 Opinions on airlines BOS to NBO
- 25 Is now a good time to visit Yemen