I just returned from a trip via Emirates Air to Africa with a stopover in Dubai. I want to warn tourists that Dubai is NOT tourist friendly. All those beautiful and famous sights you saw on the internet? You can only see them from the outside. To get into the Burj al Arab, for example, you must make a reservation for an very expensive dinner. To get into the tallest building in the world, you must make a reservation at least 30 days or more in advance (unless you want to go up after dark). To get into the Sheik's palace hotel in Abu Dhabi, you must reserve ahead of time for a $150 English high tea. I was very disappointed, to say the least. It appears that the Emirates are for the wealthy Arabs and/or the international jet set. Lowly tourists must suffer through 115-120 degree (F) temperatures in the summer - only to have a glance at the outsides of buildings they've been wanting to explore. Sorry, Dubai. It seems that you're really set up for the very wealthy and/or inveterate shoppers with tons of money.
Being a tourist in Dubai
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Memory cards for camera
- 2 MAGICAL, MEZMERIZING MOROCCO (Revised)
- 3 A Couple of Questions Regarding My Itinerary
- 4 Petra in August, Petra by Night?
- 5 israel and petra
- 6 Tentative Israel/Jordan Itinerary...help
- 7 Help with Kruger Park itinerary
- 8 Israel and Petra
- 9 Eilat - Petra and the Dead Sea
- 10 Generic malarone now availbale in Canada
- 11 Safari and Beach Honeymoon in September
- 12 Self Drive SA, Botswana, Zimbabwe - help, 4x4 hire/border restrictions
- 13 Need Help Organizing our time in Cape Town - 3.5 days in June
- 14 Morocco for 2 nights
- 15 HELP..visiting Oman and Qatar from Dubai
- 16 6 Days in the Danakil Depression - An Experience of a Life Time!
- 17 Have you been to East Africa ?Ethiopia?
- 18 Tanzania Safari
- 19 Trip Report Africa & Dubai
- 20 Who Plans and Packs for Your Bucket List Travel (Safari)
- 21 Magnificant Morocco
- 22 The 1st of may questions .. when to go???
- 23 Hotels in Nairobi
- 24 Itinerary needed for four days in Morocco
- 25 World Travel Expert