i'm still in africa so computers here are a bit hard to access (where i am) but i wanted to finally post a report thanking you all. without your encouragement and endless help i would never have gone to kenya and i think it is now one of my favorite countries!
i arrived and was met by a driver who took me to lake nakuru where i saw a million flamingoes and a rhino or two and a giraffe and lots of baboons. if you have a business trip and need a one night stopover type trip i'd recommend it. the food was fine and the ride was gorgeous- kenya was so much more beautiful than i had thought it would be.
then i flew to the coast- things were down season in lamu so i decided on watamu and despite the rain i had a great three nights. my drinks at hemingways in the pretty bar were a memroable way to pass a ferocious storm. i visited the gede ruins by tuk tuk and had a great time meeting kenyans at the resort and swimming and watching camels on the beach. relaxing and no hassles at all, except when kenya airways cancelled my return flight.but that's nothing that hasn't happened to me before...they were kind enough to rebook me on their competition east african air- a very modern plane compared to kenya airways and right on time.
then i had a quick transfer for myflight to masai mara. i know now why the location of the lodge is much more important than the food- there seemed to be very boring scneery and boring animals much of the time from masai safari club - the tents were great and there was a lot to do at the lodge from village trips to evening programs, but botswana this wasn't. my last morning i organized a private game drive and we went as far as governor
's camp where we finally saw herds of zebra and varied scenery. i'm glad i went as this was a very last minute trip,but i think you are all very correct to meticulously research your lodges ahead of time.i did enjoy the resident hip[pos. i stayed 3 nights. 2 would have been fine. lots of lion cubs..NO MALE LIONS!
then i had a night in nairobi and checked out the village market shopping complex. don't eat the fries from the pub where the ex pats are eating. i was never sicker! up all night. even considered cancelling my trip to amboseli the next day- but i did go.
amboseli lodge was nice but crowded and i didn't like my new yorker knows everything safari mate- i grew up in ny so encounterihng this form of wildlife on safari was a drag. she actually made the entire truck wait while she spent a half hour chatting with someone- during our game drive! she was intimidating so the driver did what she wanted and ignored the rest of us (me and some very polite east africans).
game wise there was much more variety than i saw on the mara: hyena, jackals, cerval cat, and again NO MALE LIONs. i keep putting that in caps because botswana had so many we were bored of them!
then i finished with a free day in karen and i did the loop- sheldricks, etc. i really want to emphasize how large and attractive that blixen cafe is and how it is not on thre grounds of the very missable museum. the guide rushed us through in about 10 minutes flat and then actuially asked for a tip at the end!
anyway kazuri beads is not to be missed if you are interested in development work...go visit the workshop and then leave timne for selecting your souvies...also kenya duty free was really great.
i'm already planning my next weekend treat to kenya from my station...all mombassa hotel advice welcome. sorry this is so boring. i was hesitant to visit kenya and i'm so glad your help encouraged me to go. it was great!
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Israel Trip - Very Early Planning Stage
- 2 Other than car rental how to get to Kruger from Johannesburg?
- 3 nearby game lodge from Johannesburg
- 4 Safari in South Africa
- 5 Lower Zambezi vs. Northern So. Luangwa
- 6 City Day guides and Sahara adventure
- 7 November Safari Help: Botswana or Kruger?
- 8 Safari in Kruger National Park
- 9 Family4Travels to Israel & Petra -matzos, mezze and Menachem!!
- 10 Africa – after 10 years of waiting – an amazing and wondrous journey.
- 11 Sabi Sands Savanna Private Reserve vs Timbavati Motswari Game Lodge
- 12 Victoria Falls (Zimbabwe and Zambia) - Travel Report
- 13 Safari travel agent suggestions?
- 14 Straight through to Kenya or layover?
- 15 Southern Africa or Tanzania/Kenya for August 2018 Family Trip
- 16 Advise on Hotel stay and attractions visit in Casablanca
- 17 Experience of using Namibia Tracks and Trails
- 18 Transfer time at JNB Intl. airport
- 19 Sabi Sands areavs Motswari Timbavati area
- 20 Kilimanjaro Tour Operators
- 21 Egypt in 6 days itinerary - please advise
- 22 Going to Israel end of October. Maybe silly, but what shoes to bring?
- 23 Advice on private tour Morocco
- 24 Where are the best safaris in Africa?
- 25 Wilson airport transfer to NBO
back from kenya thanks for your help[ report: watamu/masai marta/lake nakuru/amboseli/karen