Thanks to all who advised me about Emirates and the carry on luggage. I am the one who was concerned about the size and weight of my carry on because all our dental supplies were packed into our check-in baggage so we had to put all our personal items our carry ons.
When we went to board Emirates at JFK, there were two guys in the gangway that picked a few people out and made them check their carry ons because they were too heavy looking or too big. Nobody weighed them to see if they were over the 15lb limit for economy. I kind of slid past as the two guys in front of me were making a fuss about checking their luggage and distracting the luggage police guy.
On a side note... the dental clinics went very well. The two dentists I worked with saw about 600 people in 4.5 days of working. I assisted one of the dentists and did some cleanings ( I'm a hygienist). Next year I will have my own area to work in to do more cleanings. We actually wish that we could have seen more people... but we had to deal with 'Ugandan time' when dealing with drivers (showing up late) and getting set up to start the clinics for the day.
The people were just wonderful! The kids were just soooo cute! They had no idea what to do with all these Mzungu ( literally: white traveler) running around in gloves and masks. 99% were very brave and just sat there during the injections and extractions. Only about .5%-1% of American kids are that brave.
A wonderful piece of news: Our medical clinic did HIV testing on 630 people and only 23 came back as positive. This is an extremely low number of positives for an African nation. The HIV education in Uganda has surely paid off!
Anyway, thanks again for all the help!
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Israel Trip - Very Early Planning Stage
- 2 Audley Travel
- 3 Babies Galore: Kenya in April
- 4 Moroccan Camel Safari
- 5 Accommodation in Cape Town
- 6 A Little Trick for Converting Centigrade to Fahrenheit
- 7 nearby game lodge from Johannesburg
- 8 Lower Zambezi vs. Northern So. Luangwa
- 9 Africa – after 10 years of waiting – an amazing and wondrous journey.
- 10 Other than car rental how to get to Kruger from Johannesburg?
- 11 Safari in South Africa
- 12 City Day guides and Sahara adventure
- 13 November Safari Help: Botswana or Kruger?
- 14 Safari in Kruger National Park
- 15 Family4Travels to Israel & Petra -matzos, mezze and Menachem!!
- 16 Sabi Sands Savanna Private Reserve vs Timbavati Motswari Game Lodge
- 17 Victoria Falls (Zimbabwe and Zambia) - Travel Report
- 18 Safari travel agent suggestions?
- 19 Straight through to Kenya or layover?
- 20 Southern Africa or Tanzania/Kenya for August 2018 Family Trip
- 21 Advise on Hotel stay and attractions visit in Casablanca
- 22 Experience of using Namibia Tracks and Trails
- 23 Transfer time at JNB Intl. airport
- 24 Sabi Sands areavs Motswari Timbavati area
- 25 Kilimanjaro Tour Operators