Thanks to all who advised me about Emirates and the carry on luggage. I am the one who was concerned about the size and weight of my carry on because all our dental supplies were packed into our check-in baggage so we had to put all our personal items our carry ons.
When we went to board Emirates at JFK, there were two guys in the gangway that picked a few people out and made them check their carry ons because they were too heavy looking or too big. Nobody weighed them to see if they were over the 15lb limit for economy. I kind of slid past as the two guys in front of me were making a fuss about checking their luggage and distracting the luggage police guy.
On a side note... the dental clinics went very well. The two dentists I worked with saw about 600 people in 4.5 days of working. I assisted one of the dentists and did some cleanings ( I'm a hygienist). Next year I will have my own area to work in to do more cleanings. We actually wish that we could have seen more people... but we had to deal with 'Ugandan time' when dealing with drivers (showing up late) and getting set up to start the clinics for the day.
The people were just wonderful! The kids were just soooo cute! They had no idea what to do with all these Mzungu ( literally: white traveler) running around in gloves and masks. 99% were very brave and just sat there during the injections and extractions. Only about .5%-1% of American kids are that brave.
A wonderful piece of news: Our medical clinic did HIV testing on 630 people and only 23 came back as positive. This is an extremely low number of positives for an African nation. The HIV education in Uganda has surely paid off!
Anyway, thanks again for all the help!
Back from Dubai/Uganda dental mission
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Taste of Dubai
- 2 Now is the Time fo Egypt...
- 3 Morocco floods - areas affected
- 4 Zanzibar - from a resident's perspective
- 5 Magnificent wedding in the Masai Mara
- 6 Johannesburg to Cape Town
- 7 Zambia Impressions
- 8 Rwanda, Uganda and Tanzania
- 9 Travel Report for Malawi - A Great Place To Relax
- 10 Serengeti Photo Safari - April 2015
- 11 Johannesburg to Cape Town
- 12 Comments on Botswana itinerary with Wilderness Travel
- 13 SOUTH AFRICA WESTERN CAPE TRIP REPORT: SEPT/OCT 2013
- 14 Dubai first time
- 15 Mauritius September 2015 - Silver Beach Resort or Emeraude Beach Attitude?
- 16 Don't go to Morrocco!
- 17 Where to spend extra night; Merzouga or Skoura?
- 18 Canoe Safari Jan - Feb
- 19 Dubai and/or Oman
- 20 Good travel company to book an 8 day trip to Egypt
- 21 Need advice on which camera lenses for safari
- 22 Morocco Advice
- 23 MOROCCO SOLO
- 24 Guide for Serengeti Wildebeest Migration Jan 2015
- 25 Suggestions for a group tour