Thanks to all who advised me about Emirates and the carry on luggage. I am the one who was concerned about the size and weight of my carry on because all our dental supplies were packed into our check-in baggage so we had to put all our personal items our carry ons.
When we went to board Emirates at JFK, there were two guys in the gangway that picked a few people out and made them check their carry ons because they were too heavy looking or too big. Nobody weighed them to see if they were over the 15lb limit for economy. I kind of slid past as the two guys in front of me were making a fuss about checking their luggage and distracting the luggage police guy.
On a side note... the dental clinics went very well. The two dentists I worked with saw about 600 people in 4.5 days of working. I assisted one of the dentists and did some cleanings ( I'm a hygienist). Next year I will have my own area to work in to do more cleanings. We actually wish that we could have seen more people... but we had to deal with 'Ugandan time' when dealing with drivers (showing up late) and getting set up to start the clinics for the day.
The people were just wonderful! The kids were just soooo cute! They had no idea what to do with all these Mzungu ( literally: white traveler) running around in gloves and masks. 99% were very brave and just sat there during the injections and extractions. Only about .5%-1% of American kids are that brave.
A wonderful piece of news: Our medical clinic did HIV testing on 630 people and only 23 came back as positive. This is an extremely low number of positives for an African nation. The HIV education in Uganda has surely paid off!
Anyway, thanks again for all the help!
Back from Dubai/Uganda dental mission
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Morocco on the road: trip report
- 2 Looking for out of the way places
- 3 Yet another Kruger private reserve budget lodge post + Blyde Canyon
- 4 Help: 4 days, 3 nights in (or our of) Johannesburg
- 5 February vs March in Tanzania - Dueling Trip Reports
- 6 Tanzania Safari
- 7 Kenya and Tanzania Trip Planning Help
- 8 Sabi Sands camps
- 9 AHLA Tanzania Mt. Kilimanjaro & Safari 4 days
- 10 Maldives, Seychelles or Mauritius??
- 11 trip report, morocco
- 12 Photos from Sept 2013 Safari to Uganda
- 13 Seeking Itinerary Routing for 3 week SA Trip
- 14 16 Days in South Africa (Victoria Falls, Zimbawe & Botswana)
- 15 First Time in Israel Tour Suggestions
- 16 East Africa summer 2014
- 17 Cape Town Safety?
- 18 first time family safari in August 2014
- 19 BOTSWANA - Maun (Okavango) to Chobe - 4x4 self drive...
- 20 Memory cards for camera
- 21 Self Drive SA, Botswana, Zimbabwe - help, 4x4 hire/border restrictions
- 22 Questions on 10 day Morocco winter vacation
- 23 London to Tel aviv What to expect at BG /Trans to Tel aviv / booking.com
- 24 place to sleep near airport for a 6 hour layover .. switching airports
- 25 Help with Rwanda trip