Thanks to all who advised me about Emirates and the carry on luggage. I am the one who was concerned about the size and weight of my carry on because all our dental supplies were packed into our check-in baggage so we had to put all our personal items our carry ons.
When we went to board Emirates at JFK, there were two guys in the gangway that picked a few people out and made them check their carry ons because they were too heavy looking or too big. Nobody weighed them to see if they were over the 15lb limit for economy. I kind of slid past as the two guys in front of me were making a fuss about checking their luggage and distracting the luggage police guy.
On a side note... the dental clinics went very well. The two dentists I worked with saw about 600 people in 4.5 days of working. I assisted one of the dentists and did some cleanings ( I'm a hygienist). Next year I will have my own area to work in to do more cleanings. We actually wish that we could have seen more people... but we had to deal with 'Ugandan time' when dealing with drivers (showing up late) and getting set up to start the clinics for the day.
The people were just wonderful! The kids were just soooo cute! They had no idea what to do with all these Mzungu ( literally: white traveler) running around in gloves and masks. 99% were very brave and just sat there during the injections and extractions. Only about .5%-1% of American kids are that brave.
A wonderful piece of news: Our medical clinic did HIV testing on 630 people and only 23 came back as positive. This is an extremely low number of positives for an African nation. The HIV education in Uganda has surely paid off!
Anyway, thanks again for all the help!
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 (U.S) AOL Password Reset CONTACT ☎1:800:681:7208 AOL Tec*h SUPPORT
- 2 Our Magic Carpet Ride-Marrakesh!
- 3 Itinerary Ideas
- 4 Tanzania Itinerary help
- 5 planning first safari to Tanzania ... feeling overwhelmed
- 6 Trip Report: Tanzania Northern Circuit Safari with Earthlife Expeditions
- 7 Help with Israel Trip (First Timers): Some Basic Questions
- 8 Tel Aviv-Haifa: gifts and presents. Any ideas?
- 9 An Ugandan Urge- Gorillas & Chimps in the midst
- 10 Narrowing down my 10 day itinerary
- 11 Where do I even start planning my SA safari?
- 12 Kenya/Tanzania
- 13 Dubai first time
- 14 2 nights in Dubai
- 15 16 hours in Qatar
- 16 Petra from Israel
- 17 Nine months to Egypt (but you should go now)
- 18 A South African in Lusaka
- 19 Packing for trip to Tanzania
- 20 Need tour operator for Tanzania and Kenya
- 21 A Little Trick for Converting Centigrade to Fahrenheit
- 22 RETURN TO BOTSWANA, PLUS JOHANNESBURG, 2017
- 23 Babies Galore: Kenya in April
- 24 Safari suggestions
- 25 Best places to eat in Egypt?