Happy New Year!
My husband and I will be in Cape Town late January and are trying to plan some of our time there. We are interested in history, outdoors, and food. I would love some feedback/advice from the Fodors community.
-Day 1: Our flight lands in CPT at 1:55 PM. I was thinking to pick up our rental car and have lunch in the winelands followed by a visit to one or two wineries. Or perhaps visit wineries and then dinner in the winelands might make more sense? Any recommendations for restaurants and winery visits?
-Day 2: We would like to visit Robben Island. We are wondering whether to do a group or private tour there. Anyone have any experience with this?
In the afternoon we are thinking to visit (perhaps hike with a private guide?) Table Mountain. Would there be time for another activity that day or would Robben Island + Table Mountain fill the day? Would the District Six Museum or a walking tour fit here?
-Day 3: We are thinking to drive down to see penguins, Cape of Good Hope, etc. Is there anything we need to do/book in advance? Any recommendations on spots not to miss? Lunch spots?
-Day 4: Possibly shark diving? Is this something you would recommend? I seem to understand in January the sharks are somewhat "out of season." How would this effect us? Where would you recommend and how far from Cape Town is it? Can this be combined with another activity or would it take a full day?
-Day 5: We are looking for activities/sights within walking distance from V&A Waterfront. Any recommendations? Perhaps save District Six Museum and/or a walking tour for this day?
We are also looking for restaurant recommendations. We are on wait lists for Test Kitchen and La Colombe but I'm not holding my breath. (We do not eat meat but do eat fish.)
Thanks in advance and looking forward to hearing from you!
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Abu Dhabi overnight stay
- 2 Babies Galore: Kenya in April
- 3 Audley Travel
- 4 Can "European" plugs be used in South Africa?
- 5 what kind of plug adapters to use in south africa
- 6 Israel Trip - Very Early Planning Stage
- 7 Moroccan Camel Safari
- 8 Accommodation in Cape Town
- 9 A Little Trick for Converting Centigrade to Fahrenheit
- 10 nearby game lodge from Johannesburg
- 11 Lower Zambezi vs. Northern So. Luangwa
- 12 Africa – after 10 years of waiting – an amazing and wondrous journey.
- 13 Other than car rental how to get to Kruger from Johannesburg?
- 14 Safari in South Africa
- 15 City Day guides and Sahara adventure
- 16 November Safari Help: Botswana or Kruger?
- 17 Safari in Kruger National Park
- 18 Family4Travels to Israel & Petra -matzos, mezze and Menachem!!
- 19 Sabi Sands Savanna Private Reserve vs Timbavati Motswari Game Lodge
- 20 Victoria Falls (Zimbabwe and Zambia) - Travel Report
- 21 Safari travel agent suggestions?
- 22 Straight through to Kenya or layover?
- 23 Southern Africa or Tanzania/Kenya for August 2018 Family Trip
- 24 Advise on Hotel stay and attractions visit in Casablanca
- 25 Experience of using Namibia Tracks and Trails
Happy New Year!